We haven’t posted about Cursed Treasure 3 progress for quite some time already and people are asking about the progress here and there, so here is the update. Cursed Treasure 3 development is on hold for almost a year already. The reason for that is simple — we run out of development budget and the game is not good even for open beta. We hoped to have a build with at least 6 levels to launch Early Access on Steam, but that didn’t happen.
What we have at the moment:
- 3 levels playable, but not fully balanced
- squads system working, but not polished
- some art: title screen, logo, characters, towers, map etc.
The development may only continue if we find some funds. We are partnering with ArmorGames, so they may secure some funds for that sooner or later. We tried to get some money from Cursed Treasure 2 too — it was ported to Steam and Android, but the income from these versions is not sufficient.
We thought about crowdfunding, but unfortunately Kickstarter doesn’t work in Russia. IndieGoGo does, but will require some extra efforts and fees because we’ll have to use PayPal, and the chances to be funded are worse on IndieGoGo, we believe.
We showcased the game on DevGamm conference 2 times and the players were not very excited (same as these who commented on YouTube videos), seems like the game will need serious revision, if we find funds to continue.
The reasons for the game to run out of budget are (as we see it):
- We focused the features that we thought are important, like squads, and spent too many times there. We should focus on the core gameplay elements instead: towers, enemies, skills etc. Besides these who played the Alpha didn’t like squads…
- We tried to rise the art quality bar and probably set it a bit too high and spent too much time polishing art. This includes the levels art that is one big picture — probably we should have stick to tile system instead.
- Project management was not good. We should have planned more careful and control the milestones goals more strict.
Hope we’ll be able to continue one day, fix all the issues and make a great game that will become the best installment in Cursed Treasure series!